NOW YOU ARE HIRED, WHAT NEXT?
Category: JOB SECURITY
There are so many qualified and interested job seekers out there, that are praying employed one day. Some are indeed qualified but due to one or two reasons, they are still unemployed. Remember you were once like that, until your prayers and dreams became a reality.
Now you are employed, what next? One may ask. It doesn’t end at you being employed, it is expected of you to also deliver fully (i.e rendering the due service for which you are called to do) because that is the main motive behind your employer hiring you. Now you have been employed, even though the condition of service does not suit you (considering the high level of unemployment everywhere), you are adviced to hold on to your current job until you find another (for a bird at hand worth more than thousands in the bush). Your focus should remain on working hard for the company and keeping your current job by increasing your value to profit the company (note that companies do not lay off their best employees unless the employees works in a non-critical position or the company is suffering financially).
Any responsible/reasonable employee is expected to adhere to the following tips now he/she is employed. If you have passed the probation stage and confirmed as a full worker, these tips will help you keep your job:-
1. Be the indispensable person who has needed organization knowledge:- make yourself indispensable to your company, always be an overachiever (have a hard to find skills and character, and contribute to help without a request from anyone).
2. Make your contributions measurable and visible to the right people.
3. Keep an ongoing ‘kudo file’:- put in more commitment and make money for the company, contribute to revenue generation, sales and profits.
4. Participate in industry and networking organization:- join the professional groups in your industry and volunteer to better the company. Embrace social media like LinkedIn, facebook, twitter, etc and learn which service will help you advance your career the best that your company will benefit.
5. Update yourself and your resume. Always stand ahead of the knowledge curve.
6. Keep your personal and professional skills growing and developing. Take your talent and skills to an enviable height.
7. Put more commitment, work long hours and make sure right people notice it but don’t practice eye-service.
8. Ask for more work and more challenging assignments. No complaining and show willingness always to work.
9. Be a good team player. Cooperate with coworkers to achieve goals and success for all.
10. Be self reliance, always have faith in yourself.
11. Always dress moderately and professionally.
12. Ensure your employer/coworkers like you:- work hard to impress your employer and for the profit of the company